Guarddog

Casper Skovby casperskovby at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 10:15:42 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 29 August 2007 01:15:15 Casper Skovby wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm running kubuntu feisty and I've just installed the firewall
> > Guarddog. I've got problems sending emails with thunderbird. There's no
> > problems receiving emails. I've tried to check all protocols but it's
> > not possible to send any emails anyway. Has anybody experienced the same
> > problem and solved it?
> >
> > Regards
> > Casper

I prefer to use KMyFirewall - it is more transparent if you understand
iptables. I could not really understand how the Guarddog works (for example,
it seem to block incoming ports individually instead of making a general rule
with exceptions, which I think is a strange way of doing things, and tedious
to setup as well).

However, to troubleshoot your problem, could you please post here the output
of this command:

sudo iptables --list

It will output the current rules of iptables configuration, and maybe someone
will propose, if not a Guarddog fix, then a simple one-line command to fix
the problem.

I suggested you posting output of iptables configuration, but perhaps you
should really do that only if you have a dynamic IP (one that changes each
time you connect) or are behind a router - I mean if you DO NOT have a public
static IP address. Otherwise you will be exposing your firewall which is not
necessary on the internet.

-- Donatas Glodenis http://dg.lapas.info Thanks for replying. Everything
else works fine so I would prefer to continue with guarddog if I can get
sending emails to work. I've I dynamic IP and I'm also behind a router.
I don't know much about iptables and maybe I'm worrying too much but I'm
thinking that someone could exploit the iptable configuration if I
posted that. But maybe someone could tell me what to look for in the
iptable configuration anyway? Regards Casper