Gizmo cross platform?

Graham gct3 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Aug 28 18:36:22 UTC 2007

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 12:18:15 +0300
Nigel Ridley <nigel at rmk.co.il> wrote:

> Since, according to the discussion about Wengophone vs. Skype, Gizmo
> appears to be better; can someone let me know if Gizmo is really
> better than the other competition and can it 'talk' to folks using
> Skype (such as family that are still using Windows)?
>
> TIA
>
> Nigel

Nigel, as I understand things, Gizmo (and Freespeech, Wengophone and
any other SIP based services) can talk to each other.  However, as each
service has its user base you will only be able to access other
subscribers of that service without cost.

Even if you use Kphone or xtenlite as the GUI for the SIP service you
will have to be connected to Gizmo OR Wengo OR Freespeech to utilise
the access to other users without cost on the same service.

Skype is another matter.  It uses a proprietary protocol which CANNOT
be accessed by open source SIP clients.  You can access only Skype
subscribers through the Skype service.  However, there are more Skype
subscribers than with any other service so you will probably connect
with somebody you want.  Its similar to the situation over Windows vs
Linux in the voip world.

However, you can get all your friends to sign up to Gizmo and then you
will be able to access people you wish to call on whatever platform you
choose.  Personally, I'd recommend Freespeech as a voip service
provider, which you can find out about at:

http://www.freespeech.co.uk

It uses the open source SIP protocols and any softphone (eg Kphone)
should work with it, including Windows softphones.

--

Graham