WengoPhone vs. Skype

Jack Crone jcrone at jdca.com
Tue Aug 28 06:12:35 UTC 2007

I recently started monitoring this list and find it an excellent source
of useful information from friendly folks. I will probably be asking for
assistance here as soon as I get my SUSE box converted to Kubuntu.

On the phone thing - please don't flame me for the suggestion... Vonage
has been great for me. Not free and not open source and not perfect, but
a good fit for my needs. Taxes and all brings it to about $30 a month,
but it eliminates the need for a land line in most areas. Calls to the
US, Canada, Europe, and other Vonage users are included. I have
relatives in the Middle East and Asia who have Vonage phones. My phone
bill was a few hundred a month and is now just $30.

I have no connection with Vonage and I don't want this to be interpreted
as a promotion. I don't expect Vonage to be around forever, but for now
I don't know of a more cost effective service for my particular needs. YMMV

Jack