numlock ON before logging in

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Aug 18 02:18:20 UTC 2007

On Friday 17 August 2007, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
>On Friday 17 August 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> there is one teeny led on the keyboard that must be on or it doesn't work
>> from a fresh boot.  The last fresh boot however was several months ago.
>> (ups)
>
>I HATE that keyboard.  My wife has one of those #!^@#^@#^#^#^#$^#^ things.
>
>On the numlock at boot thing, I'm remembering something in the init scripts
> on Mandrake.
>
>How about that.  I never throw anything away.  I still have my /etc
> directory from Mandrake 8.1 (my first distro.)  I guess I've been keeping
> it around for this very day.
>
>It's /etc/init.d/numlock.
>
>Here's the script.  It looks like the meaty bit is "setleds" but I have no
>idea...  Yup, we seem to have one on Debian.  Should be simple enough to
>extract a solution from these elements, but I don't feel like doing the
>extraction myself.  Pointing out the path will have to suffice.

Looks like a trip to the docs to see what else that setleds might be capable
of, and fix it to do the same for the F keys on this stupid keyboard.  OTOH,
it may not last all that much longer, the spacebar is hanging some, too much
flying swarf in it.  Swarf being the name for what the air nozzle blows away
from the cutting edge of a milling bit spinning at 1k rpms, buried 20 thou in
a hunk of steel that's being pulled sideways so the bit is plowing a trench
in the steel as it moves.  A cnc milling machine.  The keyboard in question
is about 2 feet from the flying steel (or whatever) the bit throws.

Humm, looks more like 'loadkeys' since setleds is limited.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)