Please add tag to subject

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Aug 7 23:15:08 UTC 2007

Stew Schneider wrote:

> Art Alexion wrote:

>>> No, please don't.  Filter.  You can do it easily enough even with
>>> multiple clients.
> Honestly, I'm not trolling, and don't have ANY preference on this issue.
> I just don't have the wit to understand why not to do this if it is
> handy for one (or more) of the list members. I guess what I don't see is
> the downside. What inconvenience to others would this cause that I'm
> missing?

The downside is that most of us already filter.  The last thing we need when
we go into the Kubuntu folder is to see every subject line
as "[Kubuntu-user] ...".  It's redundant information that's taking up space
in the most significant bits of the subject line.  In fact, if you wanted
to stick a tag like that at the _end_ of the subject I'd have no objections
other than aesthetic - but I've never seen it done.

I don't even read this on a list, I read it through gmane news.  It's _been_
filtered already before I touch it.  Telling me it's "kubuntu" is
completely unnecessary.

The "technical" reason not to do this is that it's catering to broken
clients.  Smart clients understand list headers.  Even most webmail clients
can.
--
derek