Network Shares on Wireless network

Paul Lemmons paul at lemmons.name
Wed Aug 1 19:31:30 UTC 2007

Ok, this is either something so trivial that everybody but me knows the
answer or I have lost the skill of searching Google. I am hoping that is
the former, not the latter.

I have a laptop. It's only connection is a wireless one.
I have a networked disk drive (MyBook World II) that offers SMB shares
I can mount the shares easily once I am logged in

That is all good. Now I want to makes some of the shares available all
of them time. For example, I have installed backuppc (and like it so
far) and would like my backups to go to the mounted drive. Here is where
I run into the problem. I don't connect to a network unless I am logged
in because knetworkmanager does the search and connects me to whatever
network I am closest to at the time.

There in lies my problem, I want my cake (network connection before I
login) and to eat it too (be able to have it search for wireless
networks and connect appropriately)

Has anybody else solved this problem?

--
Sometimes I wonder.  Were our faith able to stand upright and look around, would it be looking down at the mustard seed or standing in awe of the height and bredth of it.