I got scsi drives??

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sun Apr 29 04:39:20 UTC 2007

"Andrew Jarrett" <jarrett.andrew at gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, this is correct.  As of Feisty I believe that most (if not all)
> IDE drives will be labeled as SCSI drives.  I am not sure why this
> happened (guess it makes for easier management since IDE is fading as
> a current technology).

Because SCSI and IDE (such as it is these days) are getting closer and
closer; ATAPI was already an effective SCSI-over-ATA transport.

The technical reason is that the drivers for SATA disks were moved to
use the SCSI infrastructure rather than building the same support a
second time.

The traditional PATA disks then migrated to the same infrastructure
because it allowed significant technical and practical improvements in
their support in the kernel.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/