latest feisty kernel can't see hda

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 04:28:18 UTC 2007

On Friday 27 April 2007 01:49:48 pm John L Fjellstad wrote:
> "Howard Coles" <dhcolesj at gmail.com> writes:
> >> You can also just use the /sbin/vol_id utility
> >
> > But, would that work if you can't boot the system?  I was trying to
> > come up with a way to check UUID consistency with what udev was
> > thinking verses what the fstab said, using a rescue cd/dvd.
>
> Why wouldn't the vol_id utility work?  Isn't the UUID stored in the
> filesystem itself.  According the manual page for vol_id, udev uses the
> vol_id utility to figure out the UUID and label.

I don't know, that's why I was asking.  I was assuming, and maybe wrongly so
because I haven't looked at the man files for it, that it would look in the
currently mounted root for that info, and some distros (rightly in my
opinion) don't use UUID.  I think, and its my opinion, UUIDs just confuse
people, and they're no more secure that /dev/hda, especially considering
everyone knows where on root to look!

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.