Why the distinction between free software and GPL software is important

Mark Wallace newburghmark at yahoo.ca
Fri Apr 27 18:07:11 UTC 2007

I forgot to put the last hyperlink in.  This link will direct you to the Linux edition of Adobe Reader, and, if you are violating some kind of law by clicking on it, I'll be damned if I know which one it is.

  http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/acrrsystemreqs.html#70rhlinux

Mark Wallace <newburghmark at yahoo.ca> wrote:
    Thank you!  I had look for it but couldn't find it.

  This is a GPL
  http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html#SEC3

  Once you get away from this, the owner of the software can propose any agreement that he wants.  You accept the agreement at the time that you install the software if it's free, or pay for it if it isn't.  If you don't like the agreement, you don't buy or install the software.

  This is the Adobe Reader end user agreement:

  http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/acrreula.html

  Sections 3 and 5 are why they would't just issue a GPL.   Some of section 2 as well.  That doesn't mean that they want to charge for it, or that they have any problem with Linux distros including it as part of their distro.

  This is why you get yourself a license.  It is not illegal for Ubuntu to enter into an agreement with them.  Ubuntu also won't have to pay anything, because Adobe wants reader in your system, whether you use Windows or Linux.  They don't care.

  http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/distribute.html

  please note that if you are just going to do a referal to their site, you don't even need a license.  (Like the next paragraph)

  This is where you download the Linux edition of Reader.  If you are going online with Linux, chances are their web site can tell and it will direct you right to the Linux download.  If you are going online with Windows, be carefull that you don't download the Windows edition by mistake.

Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> wrote:
  Mark Wallace wrote:
> I'm using legal terms. The gnome site hyperlink isn't using legal
> terms

You probably mean GNU, and if you think they don't use legal terms
you're still incorrect. See
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-ip-ethos.html and many other sites.

Matt Flaschen

Robert Mark Wallace