Reply to Kubuntu and McAfee

John L Fjellstad john-ubuntu at fjellstad.org
Fri Apr 27 06:06:51 UTC 2007

manchicken <manchicken at notsosoft.net> writes:

> On Thursday 26 April 2007 10:32:49 John L Fjellstad wrote:
>> Man-Chicken <manchicken at notsosoft.net> writes:
>> > malicious program.  With any UNIX system, the processes that get
>> > started at boot-up are pretty easy to tell.  There's not a start-menu
>> > and then 15 different registry settings that could set it off.
>> > Something would have to set itself in the runlevel .d path
>> > (e.g. /etc/rc3.d).
>>
>> There are more options to start up than that.  You have init.d, you have
>> profile or bashrc, you can set up to start in the different cron jobs.
>> If the user is running X, you can hide the startup in one of the startup
>> xsessions.
>
> But that's not system-wide, that is user-specific.

So?  The argument, which I left in the above quote, says it is easy to
tell where a process start from. I just gave you a bunch of alternatives
to the init.d startup sequence.  With cron, you might run as a specific
user.  profile means any user that logs in with bash starts the process.

Things are never as easy as you think.

--
John L. Fjellstad