Upgrading from 6.10 to 7.04

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 20:15:29 UTC 2007

I'd say that you are being optimistic.  I've found this upgrade to be
one of the worst I've ever experienced.

I didn't have your update-manager crash problem on wither of my upgrades, but

1. multimedia was broken.  I had to install libxine1-ffmpeg which
doesn't sound so bad except that it wasn't in any repository I knew to
look in, nor was it obvious that it was necessary.  I ended up finding
it on a Debian download link and downloading it.  I used dpkg to
install it which cleared up all my multimedia problems.

2. I couldn't log in on my machine.  Something changed a lot in the
bash initialization stuff and I ended up with a completely hosed path
making KDE fail catastrophically.  It took a while to see where the
problem was.

3. My wife's kernel can't read the root partition after the kernel
boots.  I've been able to work around that by booting the edgy kernel
in feisty.  Not a good solution.

All three of these problems would have been impossible for a layman to
solve.  I had believed that Ubuntu was the distro I could recommend to
my friends, butif I did they would all be trying a fresh install about
now.

I hope that a fresh install would have gone better, but I haven't tried it, yet.

Michael