Why the distinction between free software and GPL software is important

Mark Wallace newburghmark at aol.com
Thu Apr 26 10:35:28 UTC 2007

The reason why the distinction between free and GPL software is
important is someone could get into a lot of trouble is they took
Reader and  used it as a basis to reverse engineer a product that
would compete with the Acrobat full suite.  He would be free to do
that with XPDF, and could turn around and make what he did
proprietary, as long as he made the original xpdf available for free.

A software writer would want to GPL it so that the larger community
would help him develop it.  That's how we got Open Office.  Sun
Microsystems could see that it didn't have the resources to make Star
Office competitive with Microsoft Word, so they went GPL.  They
actually bought the product from a small company in Germany long ago

The same is true for Netscape.  Ten years ago, they were selling it
in a box at Target.  They could see that they were losing ground with
Explorer, a product that came pre-installed with Windows for free, so
they went open source so that the geeks in the world would make
improvements in it.  The last version of Netscape still wasn't GPL,
it was free.   But the GPL product was virtually identical.

The same is true for Star Office today.  You can pay $35 for it in a
store.  Why, I don't know, but some people aren't really price
conscious.  I had a car salesman tell me that he has people who get
through the whole process of buying a new car without price ever
coming up.   They are totally focused on the features.

Robert Mark Wallace
Tita P Walllace
Regina E P Wallace
R M Ceferino P Wallace