Front end package managers

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 05:22:40 UTC 2007

Mark,

I think you have it slightly wrong.  Adept, synaptic, kpackage, and
others are all front ends for apt-get.  apt-get is the command-line
tool for installing packages and upgrading.  The above mentioned
programs are largely wrappers around apt-get.

With the upgrade from edgy to fiesty, adept_manager and synaptic
(maybe others, too) have an additional feature: they detect a release
upgrade and offer to perform it for you.  In the past you had to go
and edit your /etc/apt/source.list file.

I used adept_manager to upgrade.  Several things broke, but I managed
to recover.  OTOH, I've been using Linux for 14 years now and am
pretty good at recovering from upgrade problems.  I'd say this one was
pretty buggy.  I'm not sure I'd recommend using that upgrade path.  I
have a lot of sympathy for folks who just want to do a fresh install.
That is why everyone should put their home directory on a separate
partition--it makes it much easier to do a fresh install.

Michael