Help with PowerPC Install

James Tappin sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk
Tue Apr 24 16:23:18 UTC 2007

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 11:23:02 -0400
"Aaron Duncan" <aaronmduncan at gmail.com> wrote:

AD> I am new to Linux.  I have used it in the past when my employer's
AD> servers and workstations had it installed, but never personally.  I
AD> wanted to bring new life to an older iMac (G3 500MHz).  I reburned
AD> the ISO twice, but the same thing happens-once the initial boot
AD> screen indicator is filled, all I get is a soft music playing and a
AD> black screen.  EVERY TIME!  This happened with Fedora Core as well.
AD> Am I missing something?  Or is Linux just destined not to work on my
AD> machine?

Since no-one else has responded with anything specific, I'll put in my
oar.

I don't have much specific, but I think it should be possible as (IIRC)
the internal hardware of the G3 iMac and the G3 iBook (which I have) are
pretty similar.

I'd suggest looking for something like "Open firmware cdrom boot" for
ideas. The only problem I recall having was some problems with the boot
partition -- whihc may well be solved now as that was with Warty.

| James Tappin           | School of Physics & Astronomy |  O__    |
| sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk | University of Birmingham      | --  \/` |
| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722                  |         |