Dual Boot Vista and Kubuntu

Mike Teehan detox.genie at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 14:53:27 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 24 April 2007 03:42:44 am Donn wrote:
> > I have got a new laptop with Vista and I would like to dual boot with
> > Kubuntu 6.06. The hard drive is a primary partition of 80GB. However I
>
> I can't give you specifics because I don't know anything about Vista.
>
> This is only a suggestion - it starts with asking *why* you want to dual
> boot? If it's because you want to get used to Kubuntu but do not know if
> you will be able to rely on it, then I would suggest that you simply use it
> as a live-CD for a while and see. Don't go to all the hassle of
> partitioning and so on.
>
> If you do go the whole-hog and dual boot, well, I found in my dual-days
> that I spent all my time in the O/S that I *used*. Since that was Win2000
> back then, I never had time to give Linux a chance -- there's always
> another excuse like "I'm expecting mail" and so on and on. In the end, the
> only way to break the habit was to force myself to *only* use Linux (Fedora
> Core 1 in those days) and that was how I got a feel for the beast.
>
> Just saying.
> /d

As long as you install Kubuntu after Vista, setting up a dual boot is quite
easy.  Donn makes a good point though, if you don't need to install, don't
bother.  Just run the live cd.

If you are going to install, take the plunge and try using ONLY Kubuntu for a
week.  You won't be missing much with Vista.  Beryl makes Aero look
paleolithic.

--- eMpTy