Font Blurry on new Linux Distros

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Thu Apr 19 01:21:04 UTC 2007

"Behrang Saeedzadeh" <behrangsa at gmail.com> writes:

> The last two or three Kubuntu/Ubuntu distros I have installed on my
> laptop/desktop all had a serious problem with rendering fonts and
> that's that they all render fonts blurry. Is this because the
> ClearType functionality is disabled by default as it is patented by
> Microsoft?

The patented feature is the TrueType "bytecode interpreter" rather than
ClearType rendering.  Sub-pixel decimation should be fine.

> Any ideas how can I fix this problem? I can't work with Kubuntu more
> than a few minutes like this.

Does the problem go away if you turn of anti-aliasing for true-type
fonts entirely in the KDE control panel (and then log out, then back
in?)

If not then tell us:

 * does this happen on a CRT or only on an LCD?
 * what is the native resolution is the LCD panel you are using?
 * the output of the command 'xdpyinfo | grep dimens'

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/