KDE Graphic Quality

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Sat Apr 7 16:47:56 UTC 2007

Robert Tilley wrote:
> This is probably a n00bish and naive question.
>
> Under other platforms, MacOS/Windows or using other window managers, graphics
> can be bright, clean, and crisp.  Graphics on my Kubuntu box (Dell Dimension
> 2350) are drab and dull by comparison.
>
> Is this a limitation of KDE/Kubuntu?  Does X.org need to evolve?  Should I
> switch to Ubuntu or another WM?

Have you tried another window manager on Ubuntu?  It's likely a question
of drivers.  Video card manufacturers are notoriously uncooperative with
users of free (as in freedom) operating systems, and typically provide
only proprietary drivers (if that).  That means distributors are stuck
with either reverse engineering free drivers, or using the unreliable
binary ones. Not a pleasant picture indeed.

Matt Flaschen