Networking

OOzy Pal oozypal at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 07:54:41 UTC 2007

On 4/6/07, Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:
> "OOzy Pal" <oozypal at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I need to setup my wireless router (ADSL). My Kubuntu can find two
> > cards
> >
> > eth0 (Ethernet) and eth1 (Wireless)
> >
> > I need to disable eth0 and keep eth1 up and running for wireless. How
> > can I do this? Do I actually need to disable eth0 to work with eth1?
>
> No.  You don't need to disable any network interface in order to use any
> other network interface.
>
> If both interfaces are connected and configured with a default gateway
> your routing table may choose one or the other as default or whatever
> but, trust me, both of them work fine without being disabled.
>

> If you want an easier way to deal with selecting between them or
> whatever you might consider using NetworkManager -- the default tool in
> Feisty -- to work with them.
>
> [...]
>
> > Here is my /etc/network/interfaces file content
>
> [...]
>
> > ifdown eth0
>
> That is wrong: ifdown isn't a valid statement in /etc/network/interfaces
>
> Regards,
>         Daniel
> --
> Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
> Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
>                  http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/

Very valuable responses; this is one of the emails I will keep for
future reference.

BTW eth0 is my wired ethernet card and eth1 is my wireless card. Why
eth1 is not wlan0?

One other issue is no mater what I do in /etc/network/interfaces when
I go to K-Menu>>System Settings >> Network Settings I see different
parameters
and IP addresses. If I disable eth0 from there and restart the
computer, the eth0 is enabled again.

Below is my interface config file content. Would you please check and
tell me if it is ok.
__________________________
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback