Networking

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 21:23:09 UTC 2007

On Thursday 05 April 2007 12:01:40 pm OOzy Pal wrote:
> I need to setup my wireless router (ADSL). My Kubuntu can find two cards
>
> eth0 (Ethernet) and eth1 (Wireless)
>
> I need to disable eth0 and keep eth1 up and running for wireless. How
> can I do this? Do I actually need to disable eth0 to work with eth1?
>
> BTW, no mater what I do in /etc/network/interfaces when I go to K
> Menu>>System Settings >> Network Settings I see different parameters
> and IP addresses. If I disable eth0 from there and restart the
> computer, the eth0 is enabled again.
>
> Here is my /etc/network/interfaces file content
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
> address 127.0.0.1
> netmask 255.0.0.0
>
> ifdown eth0
>
> auto eth1
> iface eth1 inet static
> address 192.168.1.101
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> gateway 192.168.1.1
> broadcast 192.168.1.255
> wireless-essid BNet
> wireless-key 17E9A39451
>

> --
> OOzy
> Kubuntu-Edgy

Change "ifdown eth0" to "allowhotplug eth0" that way it'll just bypass it if
no wire is plugged in, but it'll work fine if one is.
Of course under the allow line add:
iface eth0 inet dhcp

To answer the other question, no you do not have to disable one to use the
other, as a matter of fact you can have them both running at the same time.
And, if you want to completely disable eth0 black list the module, or take any
line referencing eth0 out of the interfaces file.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.