Wifi card chipset DB

eduard eduard.bonet at upf.edu
Mon Sep 25 14:14:01 UTC 2006

En/na marcus ha escrit:
> Is there an up-to-date database for Wifi cards listed by chipset?
> Several people have recommended specific cards, but none of those are
> available from shops where I live. The models seem to only be on the
> market a few months?
>
> I thought I would look for Orinoco and Atheros chipsets. Those should
> work out-of-the-box with Dapper, I hope. Can anyone confirm?
>
> I need a PCMCIA card for a laptop. Is it possible to just plug in a card
> and Wifi Assistant of Kwifi will just find the connection, or is that
> dreamland?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Marcus

Regarding the wifi card, i paste the answer i got a few hours ago:

bcm4318 you say?  That's a Broadcom right?  I think you'll get better
mileage from stock kernel with ndis wrapper.  Broadcom chipsets are
very poorly supported under Linux (Broadcom wont release the
necessary details to write open-source drivers, and don't release a
Linux binary driver).  That's why whenever friends are buying laptops
and want wireless under Linux, I typically recommend either the Intel
ProWireless cards or an Atheros chipset - both are very well
supported under Linux.  If your laptop uses a mini-PCI slot for
wireless, you can probably swap out the Broadcom for an Intel.  The
Intel ProWireless 2200BG cards go for around USD$30-50 on eBay.  The
ProWireless 3195ABG is a good option if you need tri-band support.

Hope it helps.