Organizing home movies

marcus lists at wordit.com
Mon Sep 18 13:38:04 UTC 2006

On Monday 18 September 2006 08:28, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I was refering to the home movie clips that I shot myself on a digital
> camera. One minute .avi files and the like. I'm looking for an app
> that would let me view them sorted by date, have a thumbnail view,
> and let me tag them with people and keywords.

"Tellico" has a database type called "File Catalog". You can create
entries for any existing file or directory. I'm going to use it as a
document manager for scanned PDF files. You can do this with AVI files
or any other and customize the fields/tags as you please.

As for tagging, Tellico let's you set up the database fields exactly as
you like. You are not "tagging" the actual AVI files themselves like
you do MP3 files. Instead you are creating a database which references
and links to the actual files.

There are existing database fields (file name, size etc), or you can
create all your tags/fields yourself. This is called a custom database
in Tellico. It's very simple to use. Select "Collection/Collection
Fields" and create the ones you want. Play around with Tellico, it's
very flexible. If you need help join the Tellico mailing list (only a
few messages per week).

If you want to view your movies out of Tellico, I think you just create
a link/URL field, and the movie should play in your prefered player
when you click the link. This probably depends on your KDE settings. I
have to check this out myself yet. It certainly works because others
wrote about file catalogs on the Tellico mailing list.

Btw, I recently wrote a blog article with two methods of creating
cross-references in Tellico. So you can either group your entries, or
list them according to which other entries they are related to:

http://www.wordit.com/words/2006/09/10/creating-cross-references-in-tellico/

And a general intro, which is also a promo for Kubuntu :-) :

http://www.wordit.com/words/2006/09/03/movie-software/

Marcus