installing files

Rob Blomquist rob.blomquist at verizon.net
Mon Sep 18 04:42:41 UTC 2006

On Sunday 17 September 2006 02:27, Koen wrote:
> I downloaded files in user on my desktop. To install this tar.gz files I
> need to be in Root.
> It is pavcl_linux.tgz file. I tried everything but and am a newbie. Can
> somebody help and how do I install that file from desktop into terminal
> under root

First off, make life easier and get the Terminal Sessions Menu on KPanel.
Right click on KPanel, choose Add Applet to Panel, then pick Terminal
Sessions.

Now click the terminal sessions icon, pick Root Shell, and click it. It will
ask for your password, type it in and hit enter. You now have a root session
open. No sudo nonsense necessary.

Now, move the file from your desktop to the /root folder:
mv ~/yourlogin/Desktop/pavcl_linux.tgz .

now, check out this webpage, as its clearer than anything I can write. BTW, a
tar.gz, or .tgz or tar.bz, are all known as one thing, a tarball.

http://www.newlinuxuser.com/howto-install-deb-rpm-and-source-code-files/

Rob

--
Mountlake Terrace, WA