One user, two passwords?

MLA mla at forrussia.org
Tue Sep 5 18:38:55 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 05 September 2006 14:00, Hawkwind wrote:
> I don't see any advantage to having a second password for one user to be
> able to perform rm -rf /* for example.  I mean, you have to supply a
> password for root, so what's the difference really ?  I guess maybe I'm
> looking at it differently and that's probably why I don't see an advantage.
    Well, ignoring for the moment that K/Ubuntu quietly ignores root, think of
what apt does: if you're about to issue a command that's really going to mess
up your system, it asks you to type, "Yes, do what I say" or something like
that. Obviously, it wouldn't *just* be for rm -rf /*. The idea is that while
tooling along using sudo, a user might tread into dangerous territory. While
using sudo under the regular password, permission would be denied, which
would be a reminder, "Are you sure you want to do this?" If the user is
serious, then sudo-ing and using the new password would be the equivalent of
typing, "Yes, do what I say".
    Just a little thought experiment,
    :Peter