Fwd: Re: Embedded Videos Still Wont Play In Mozilla Browser

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 4 16:20:39 UTC 2006

--- Leonard Chatagnier <lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 21:53:13 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Leonard Chatagnier <lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: Re: Embedded Videos Still Wont Play In
> Mozilla Browser
> To: kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>

> >> snip
> > MPlayer
> even
> post
> and
> > browser
> > that
> > not
> install.
> > user
> Kubuntu
> in
> > my
> > get

> appear
> > were
> > reasons.

> > 3.17)
> > mozplugger
> > browser.
> > know)
> from
> > came
> discorse
> > corret

> installed

> with

> issue.
> you

> > closer
> > I'm a

> > OK, here goes.  You seem to be correct about the
> > Mozilla browser.  I
> > have exactly the same configuration with the
> Mozilla
> > Browser that I have
> > for Firefox (meaning the same plug-ins) and the
> > video doesn't play in
> > Mozilla.  I get the funky little puzzle piece and
> > when I click on it I
> > get a pop-up window that states that this
> > application type
> > (application/x-mplayer2) can only be viewed with
> the
> > appropriate player.
> >  Well, I have application/x-mplayer2 application
> > type defined under
> > "Windows Media Player Plug-in" (mplayerplug-in
> > 3.17), but it still
> > doesn't play at all.
> >

> Yea! At last I've got a confirmation that there is a
> problem with mozilla browser playing embeds with
> Kubauntu. It appears I was right that Kubuntu
> doesn't
> support Mozilla browser or at least no one there
> uses
> it very much. So glad you were able to confirm it.
> Should I file a bug report with Kubuntu as it
> appears
> to be distro related?
>
> > As for removing plug-ins, it depends upon how you
> > installed them.  If
> > you installed them as a .deb package, then you
> > should remove the
> > package.  If you manually installed them, then you
> > probably should
> > delete them from the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.
> > Anything installed with
> [...]

Hello everyone,
Just to follow up. I removed/purged mozilla-mplayer
leaving only the following plugins shown in mozilla's
"about plug-ins":

Java(TM) Plug-in 1.5.0_06-b05
Shockwave Flash 7.0 r25
Default Plugin
Flash Movie player Version 0.4.12 compatible with
Shockwave Flash 4.0
MozPlugger 1.7.1

Don't know why I have two shockwave Flash entries.
MozPlugger is the only plugin containing the
"application/x-mplayer2" mime type entry. Mozilla
browser still wont play embeds and the only change is
that the green double cross(funky puzzle piece as
Kelly called it) and greyed out player window is gone
replaced with a solid black background which doesn't
respond to either right/left mouse clicks.
Still welcome any suggestions and hoping someone will
reply to my precious reply to Kelly's post.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net