Embedded Videos Still Wont Play In Mozilla Browser

Kelly L. Fulks kfulks at knology.net
Sun Sep 3 12:40:47 UTC 2006

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> Still trying to get embedded videos to play in Mozilla
> browser. A reference to the mplayer list was refered
> to mplayerplug-ins at sourceforge.net. The mime type
> "application/x-mplayer2" appears in KDE's file
> association list and in "about plugins" Windows Media
> Player Plugin entry in Mozilla browser but it doesn't
> show in mplayerplug-in 3.17 nor in
> mplayerplug-in.types. I suspect the entry should be in
> the two places it isn't. From all my googling it
> appears that this is a Debian/Ubuntu distro related
> issue and would like to know how to get the mime type
> entered in the places where its not and in general how
> to get embedded videos to play in Mozilla browser. As
> I mentioned in an earlier post this month this is a
> long standing issue and all my googling points back to
> the distro. Please help me on this.
>
> Leonard Chatagnier
> lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net

Leonard,

I have Mozilla Firefox installed with the MPlayer Plug-in from the
repositories and I can play video fine.  I even went to the yahoo site
that you referred to back in your original post to verify that this worked.

The application/x-mplayer2 entry does not appear in either of the
locations that you reference.  However, there were other video type
plug-ins that I removed earlier for other reasons.  That may be the
difference.  The only plug-ins that I have for Firefox are:

Java Plug-in
Shockwave Flash 7.0
Google VLC Multimedia (mplayerplug-in 3.17)
QuickTime Plug-in 6.0
RealPlayer 9.0 (mplayerplug-in 3.17)
Windows Media Player Plug-in (mplayerplug-in 3.17)
mplayerplug-in 3.17

I am using Firefox 1.5.0.5 originally installed from the repositories
and upgraded as needed.  This is on a fresh install of 6.0.6 LTS (dapper).

I hope that this helps you sort out your issue.  It should at least give
you a known working configuration from which you can build.

--
Kelly L. Fulks
Home Account