SWAT-http://localhost:901/(SOLVED)

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 29 16:10:28 UTC 2006

> On Friday 27 October 2006 22:47, Leonard Chatagnier
> wrote:
> > I must be doing something wrong as entering:
> > http://localhost:901/ in my web browser doesn't
> bring
> > up the swat program. It gives this error(konqueror
> and
> > mozilla):
> > The connection was refused... for mozilla and
> > Could not connect to host localhost (port 901).
> for
> > konq
> > Can someone please tell me what I must do to run
> swat.
> > Have read the swat man which says to add the above
> and
> > also googled on the address but no answers only
> snide
> > replyies to read the how to ask questions link and
> > some untranslatable posts. I have successfully
> used
> > swat in the past but if I had to do something
> special
> > it excapes me.
>
> Some things to check:
>
> 1. Do you have a file '/etc/inetd.conf' and does it
> contain a line something
> like this:
> swat stream tcp nowait.400 root /usr/sbin/tcpd
> /usr/sbin/swat
>
> 2. Is inetd running?
> sudo /etc/init.d/inetd start
>
> 3. There is nothing in '/etc/hosts.deny' and
> '/etc/hosts.allow' that would
> prevent access from localhost. (on my system, these
> files contain nothing but
> comments)
>
> --
> Paul

Paul, man you are good. Everything as yours except no
inetd in /etc/init.d. Installed it and apt installed
inetutils-inetd instead of the virtual package. When I
started it and entered http://localhost:901/ in
mozilla, swat was accessed. Bet cups works from
localhost now also. BTW, I've had to add a slew of
packages since installing Dapper that wasn't
autoinstalled with the distro. Maybe I should have
left the original Ubuntu install in place with
kubuntu.desktop instead of a new install with kubuntu
Dapper. Seems like the original Ubuntu install had
more in it. Anyway thanks much for the guick solution
to the swat issue.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net