Kubuntu Edgy 6.10 only loads X in Failsafe graphics mode

rashid rashid786 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 07:37:45 UTC 2006

On Friday 27 October 2006 19:16, golfer wrote:
> On 10/27/06, rashid <rashid786 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I downloaded the Kubuntu Edgy ISO for x86 and booted from it. The boot
> > splash and everything seemed to work fine, however, when booting from my
> > PCI nvidia FX5500, instead of loading X, it just goes to a command line
> > on tty1 or something like that. When I type startx it just gives an
> > error.
> >
> > So I changed to my integrated intel on board graphics chipset, and this
> > time it gives me an X cursor, then changes to a nice KDE white mouse
> > pointer...and then the screen goes black and I can't do ANYTHING. Not
> > even a commandline.
> >
> > However, I can boot to my intel chipset in failsafe mode, though
> > everything is painfully slow and i can barely manage to load Konqueror
> > etc
> >
> > I'm assuming this is a problem with my drivers...I heard that I should do
> > a sudo aptitude install xserver-xorg-video-all however I can't do that
> > from a LiveCD, and if I install fully and it doesn't work...well, I'll be
> > in trouble :P
>
> Yes, I also have a pci nvidia and on board intel graphics.  I have my
> BIOS set to turn off the intel and run video on the nvidia PCI, but
> this does not help either.
>
> Ubuntu is not able to recognize this configuration and you must
> install, then reboot into safe mode and edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> to change the intel to nvidia.  On mine, I comment (#) out the old
> intel and add the pci nvidia, as follows:
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "Nvidia GeForce 4 MX4000"
>         Driver          "nv"
>         BusID           "PCI:1:9:0"
> #       Identifier      "Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133"
> #       Driver          "i810"
> #       BusID           "PCI:0:1:0"
> EndSection
> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier      "Default Screen"
>         Device          "Nvidia GeForce 4 MX4000"
> #       Device          "Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133"
>         Monitor         "Generic Monitor"
>         DefaultDepth    24
>
> Probably your values for busID will be different - check with lspci in
> a terminal.  On mine it shows this for the nvidia:
>
> 0000:01:09.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18
> [GeForce4 MX 4000 AGP 8x] (rev c1)
>
> and the BusID is therefore 1:9:0.
>
> So, go ahead and install, and eventually you will make it work.
>
> HTH

Excellent :D Thanks for the reply. Glad to know someone else uses a nVidia PCI
card like me.

I really need a working stable system, and I have to study for my exam in 10
days so I think I'll put the installation off until after the exam...or just
install on a new partition :D

Thanks again :)

-Rashid