USB disk disappears after upgrade to KDE 3.5.5

Jose Gomez-Dans jgomezdans at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 15:54:22 UTC 2006

Hi!
I have done two things to my system, and I have noted that my USB
drive stopped popping up in the desktop afterwards. The first was to
use the nvidia drivers (I want to use Google Earth), and the second
was to upgrade the system to KDE 3.5.5. What happened before was that
no unmounted CD or storage medium appeared if it was plugged in from
the start, but as soon as something new was plugged in, all devices
would appear on the desktop. What happens now is that the unmounted CD
or DVD icon is on the desktop from the very begginning (this is fine),
but much as I switch my USB external drive on or off, it never shows
up.

I checked /var/log/syslog, and it shows that the system is detecting
the hard drive being plugged in. So it might be a HAL problem.

Has anyone experienced similar troubles?

Cheers!
Jose