xorg.conf vs KDE reported resolution.

Scott geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com
Fri Oct 6 20:21:52 UTC 2006

I've had this problem in the past with Dapper but was able to somehow
fix. it I don't seem to be having the same luck in Edgy.

When I set up xserver-xorg (i.e. sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg) I
specifically tell it to only use 1280x1024 resolution @ 60Hz.

However after restarting X or rebooting completely KDE reports my
resolution at 75Hz and doesn't give me an option to switch to 60Hz.

My LCD TFT Display has an optimal resolution of 1280x1024 @ 60Hz. That's
where I'd like it.  It does make a significant difference, especially
when it comes to the readability of text.

As of this writing the monitor is reporting an H Frequency of 79KHz and
a  V Frequency of 75 Hz ( know these translate somehow to the 60/75Hz
but I don't know the "formula").

My xorg.conf file shows:

        HorizSync               30-65
        VertRefresh     50-75

I don't really understand those numbers, but nevertheless  KDE reports
my resolution at 75Hz and doesn't give me an option to switch to the
60Hz setting that i specified when running "sudo dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xorg")

Any ideas?

Thanks.

--