Boot loader

Bill bill at richard19.plus.com
Thu Oct 5 09:44:30 UTC 2006

I know of two ways to fix the MBR.  I requires a bit of faith to get past
the dire warnings.
Both require the presence of XP or Win2k on the PC, and I have used them
only after removing Ubuntu or Kubuntu from my PC during my experiments with
Linux systems dual booted with Windows.  I have not repaired the MBR with
Ubuntu or Kubuntu installed.

I chance upon this method when removing Ubuntu or Kubuntu from my PC.
The only way I know is to use a partition manager in Windows (Partition
Magic or Paragon Partition Manager) to delete the linux partitions.  When
this has been done. the PC will not boot because the MBR is wrong.

Solution:
Boot the PC with an XP or Win2k installation CD.  Choose Repair Console (R).
If asked which windows system, choose [1]; if asked type the administrators
password (if working without one, just press Enter).  When the command
prompt appears, type FIXMBR, then press Enter.  You will have to confirm
with a [Y] that you accept the warning, and the job is done.  The PC should
then boot to windows and all trace of Ubuntu or Kubuntu is gone.

Generally, I use Partition Magic afterwards to inspect the partitions on the
hard drive.  On one occasion only, it could not see the drive properly
because of some error in the MBR, although XP opened and ran correctly.  I
have a free copy of Paragon Partition Manager from a magazine cover disk.
When that was installed and run in XP, it could see the partition structure.
Moreover, it has a facility to Repair MBR.  I took a chance and it worked.

I hope this helps.  Also, if anybody can provide a simpler method of
uninstalling Ubuntu or Kubuntu, I'd be very grateful.

Regards,

Bill