How well does Linux play with HP all-in-one devices nowadays?

Bry Melvin brymelvin at melvinart.com
Thu Nov 23 03:39:51 UTC 2006

--- stranger1121 <stranger1121 at gmail.com> wrote:

> My HP PSC 1510 works fine.
>
> 2006/11/22, Juan Carlos Torres
> <carlosdgtorres at gmail.com>:
> > On Wednesday 22 November 2006 15:01, john d.
> herron wrote:
> > > Hi, everyone.
> > > Was this the place where not too long ago I read
> from someone saying how
> > > happy they were with the way their HP all-in-one
> printer plays with
> > > their Linux box?
> > > Why am I asking ? Well, I'm thinking of
> purchasing an HP all-in one
> >snip
> > > glitches I ought to be wary of, I'd rather know
> beforehand.
> > > Any advice will be appreciated.
> > > john
> > > _________________
> > > kubuntu 6.06 LTS on a
> > > Pentium 4 box w/ 512 MB
> >
> > I'm not familiar with printers and printer models,
> but I have an HP PSC
> > 1350.
> > Worked with no problems. Of course I had to set
> up/create a printer entry in
> > System Settings -> Printers.
> >
> > --
A while back I did some posts regarding HP all in
ones.

I recently installed one only to find scanning didn't
work

I filed a bug report...which is now marked as
duplicate

The good news is everything works if you compile and
install a newer version of HPILP from souceforge.

The download includes excellent documentation...dig
into it and you find  that you have step by step
instructions  fpr dapper down to what packages from
ubuntu you need to have installed.

After reading the docs the whole process was quite
painless.

FWIW mine even scans from googles Picassa2 and prints
fine accross the network as a Samba Printer.

Bryann