Downloading _big_ files: problem, and solution.

Mitch Thompson mitchthompson at satx.rr.com
Mon Nov 20 18:32:01 UTC 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: kubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com
[mailto:kubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com] On Behalf Of O. Sinclair
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2006 11:55 AM
To: renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org; Kubuntu Help and User Discussions
Subject: Re: Downloading _big_ files: problem, and solution.

Renaud (Ron) Olgiati wrote:
> I have started downloading the .iso file for burning an OS DVD.
>
> Problem:
>
> - The file is _BIG_ (3.4 GB) and the download takes around six days.
>
> - The power supply here in Paraguay does not last that long without power
> cuts, specially at this time of the year.
>
> -When the UPS battery runs out the computer shuts down in an orderly
manner,
> closing all the progs that are running at the time.
>
> -And when you close down Konqueror in the middle of a download it deletes
the
> xxx.iso.part file.
>
> This already happened to me twice, each time around 1.2 GB or 30% of the
> download;
> AAAAAAAAARGH !  (feel better already  ;-3)
>
> Solution:
>
> A cron job that will, every hour:  cp -f xxx.iso.part xxx.iso.part.bak
>
> That way at the worst I now only loose one hour's worth of download, as I
can
> cp xxx.iso.part.bak xxx.iso.part and resume the download.
Better solution methinks;
Either use Ktorrent if possible (will nicely resume downloading but can
take for ever)
or download KGet and use it as download manager, will also allow resume
of downloads - given that the site in question allows it.

Or, go to the web site and request a handful (up to 10?) CDs be sent to you.

Since it sounds like the o.p. is downloading the ISO via dialup, I would say
the the bandwidth of the postal service might be a tad faster ;^).