How to configure the ".hidden" file

Hawkwind hawkwind at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 13:31:05 UTC 2006

On 11/16/06, anthony baldwin <anthonybaldwin at optonline.net> wrote:

> Ali Milis wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >Beside using "vi"; is there any "clickable" way to configure/modify
> >the default .hidden file?
> >
> >thank you,
> >

> Yeah.
> enter the file manager in root mode,
> highlight the file and hit F2 (or right click and choose ¨rename¨)
> Delete the ¨.¨
> then it will be just ~/hidden
> but will not be ¨hidden¨...
> errr..what exactly are you trying to do to this file?
> I mean, there is no ¨gui¨ to edit this file without dealing with the
> actual text.
> Of course, a gui tools to handle the text is available, kedit or kate or
> any other gui text editor.
>
> tony

Deleting or renaming this file is *not* suggested at all.  The reason is
because once kde-system-settings or whatever the exact package is gets
updated, then that file gets recreated if it's not there as .hidden.  If you
don't want anything in that file there then simply delete and recreate it as
an empty file.  Or just edit it and remove everything within the file and
save again.  If there is a file there, no matter what it may contain, when
that package is updated, the file is *not* touched.

AFAIK there is no GUI way of editing the file other than doing kdesu kwrite
/.hidden   Replace kwrite with your favorite GUI editor of choice.

--
With kind regards,

Cliff Wade (Hawkwind)
Registered Linux User #362532 Registered Kubuntu User #331
http://seerofsouls.com http://linuxfordummies.org http://urpmi-addmedia.org
IRC Channels (irc.freenode.net): #LFD #Kubuntu #Ulteo