Please help, I lost my GUI!

matt.modica at comcast.net matt.modica at comcast.net
Wed Nov 15 20:20:11 UTC 2006

Hi,

I am running Kubuntu 6.06 Edgy on the K7 Kernel. I just recently upgraded to Edgy from Dapper, and for the most part, it has worked fine. But for some reason, I can't get into the GUI anymore. All it will do is boot into what looks like recovery mode and the terminal. I tried every kernel I have installed, and the same thing happens with all of them.

I have no idea what to do. All I was doing was switching the video card driver with a different one, since I suspect I had the wrong one. I didn't stop x.org though, because I couldn't figgure out how, and I did it wothout doing so before. Then suddenly my GUI went away, and just went to this screen where there was a blinking cursor, but nothing was there, and it wasn't doing anything, so I shut it down by pushing the power button. I should have done Ctrl + Alt + F1, but I didn't think of it.

It showed the shuting down screen like it usually does when I shut down. When I booted back up, I selected the K7 Kernel like I usually did, but after the normal loading screen, it went into the terminal like it does in recovery mode. So I rebooted, thinking I pressed recovery mode by accident. But I noticed that it used the progress bar durring the loading screen. When I booted back up, I made sure to select the normal kernel, and it did the same thing. I rebooted again, and tried the recovery mode, but that did the same thing, except that it didn't show the progress bar. I tried the 386 kernel, but that did the same thing.

I also tried other things, including running "sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start" but I got a message saying the K desktop manager was already running. I also tried Ctrl + Alt + F7, but that just broght me back to the blank screen with the cusror. I tried to reconfigure the XServer with "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg", but that didn't help. I think there is something wrong with xorg.conf, but I don't think that reconfiguring the XServer is fixing it, since it gives me a message saying that it overwrote xorg.conf. I have read in many places that reconfiguring it fixes it, but it doesn't.

I have no idea what to do, so I am asking for help. Is this a bug in Edgy mabye?

I would really appreciate any help on this. Thanks a lot!