[kde3.5.5] kprinter "connection to cups server failed" SOLVED

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Wed Nov 15 14:32:12 UTC 2006

On Thursday 12 October 2006 11:44, Liz Young wrote:
> On Thursday 12 October 2006 08:02, Liz Young wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > "Unable to retrieve the printer list.  Error message received from
> > manager:
>
> Lame to be answering my own post, but it's already in Launchpad

Not lame to be answering your own post.  Somebody else (like me) may have had
the same problem and was waiting for someone (even you) to provide an answer.
Thanks.

> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/kdebase/+bug/65665
>
> "...changing the cups server from localhost to 127.0.0.1 in the print
> configuration dialog of kprinter fixes the problem (system options =>
> cups server => host). No more connection errors..."

I had this issue intermittently.  Thought it was due to low resources on those
instances.  Now I know it was a bug and I fixed it.  Thanks again.

One last question:  I first went into the "Server Configuration" instead of
the kprinter configuration.  Seems no server is specified in this cups
configuration tool.  Would specifying 127.0.0.1:631 make this whole thing
work better?

I am used to using the browser interface http://127.0.0.1:631

> Yep, that works.  No goat sacrificed. :-)

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @