dapper upgrade to edgy, emacs not functioning

Roy Mayfield roy at mayfield.name
Tue Nov 14 22:29:09 UTC 2006

I've noticed that emacs now starts up with a different font than it did
before I upgraded from Dapper to Edgy.  It wasn't drastic enough to make
me want to take the time to figure it out.  More recently, though, I've
noticed that Xfig uses some <<terrible>> fonts for its display.  This is
also something new since I upgraded to Edgy.  I have posted the problem
and asked for help but nobody has responded.

I've heard that Edgy is supposed to handle fonts much better, but maybe
the developers focused on new apps like Open Office and ignored old
standby apps like Emacs and Xfig.