scanning in Kubuntu

Gert Gast gert.gast at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 06:49:37 UTC 2006

Problem solved ..xsane can scan and do OCR just fine using gocr, gocr-gtk,
gocr-tk (whatever of these three, I just installed all of them)...all very
simple ..except nobody seems to know and it's documented nowhere ..sigh
..the pleasures of Linux ..

Kooka can go gooka .. :-)

Cheers, Gert

On 11/4/06, claydoh <claydoh at claydoh.com> wrote:

> On Friday 03 November 2006 2:00 am, Gert Gast wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Trying to run Kooka in Kubuntu with Samsung SCX-4100. Xsane runs fine, I
> > can scan from inside GIMP for example without problem.Printer ok as
> well. I
> > just want to get OCR scanning happening as well using Kooka or
> whatever..
> > any ideas ? Here is the error message from the konsole
> >
> > Failed to open device
> > X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 154
> >   Major opcode:  143
> >   Minor opcode:  3
> >   Resource id:  0x0
> > Failed to open device
> > insmod: can't read
> > '/lib/modules/2.6.15-27-386/kernel/drivers/mfpportctrl/mfpport.ko': No
> such
> > file or directory
> > KCrash: Application 'kooka' crashing...
> >
> > Any help would be highly appreciated ..else I have to OCR again from
> > Windows..yuk...
> >
> > Cheers, Gert
> I found this link that has some useful information:
> http://jacobo.tarrio.org/Samsung_SCX-4200_on_Debian
>
> It seems that samsung is using a proprietary kernel module involving
> parallel
> ports, and as that module is missing, you are getting the error message.
> As
> you can scan properly, I think there is something else at issue here. Make
> sure you have an ocr or ocrad package installed, you can install gocr,
> which
> are in the Universe repository. I have not tried out either in quite some
> time, but I don't think you will get anywhere near the functionality or
> features you get from commercial OCR software.
> --
> Clay Weber
> http://kubuntuforums.net
> http://claydoh.com
> http://emacdogsports.com

_____________________'Making Internet Work for You'____________________
Dr Gert Gast -- CommunicationsDesign -- +61+2 66848 015, mobile 041 8260 834
48 Parkway Drive,Ewingsdale NSW 2481, Australia <mailto:gert.gast at gmail.com>