new kernel, what did I miss?

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Fri Nov 3 01:07:57 UTC 2006

On Thursday 02 November 2006 12:36 pm, H.J.Bathoorn wrote:

> So do I. :-)
> I hope this idea will just go away as it did the last time the device names
> were nominated to be changed.

Yeah, that /dev/bus/lun/part gobbledejibber they came up with.  Bleck.

> It wont be too hard to adjust, though ....... take a look in
> '/dev/disk/by-uuid/'

I guess I missed this because I just replaced the / partition of an existing
Debian install, or something.

The new by-uuid looks like seven kinds of gobbledejibber too.  Bleck.  More
promising is /dev/by-id/ but even that looks a little disturbing to me too.
Looks like you're going to wind up with a fstab that's married to a
particular piece of hardware, instead of just a partition scheme.  That seems
very annoying, since my usual way up upgrading a drive is to keep a similar
partition scheme, and just make some of the partitions bigger on the new one.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic.  I should STFW and see what this is all about.

Or not.  I never did have to figure out how to live with devfs.  I just kept
turning it off until it went away.

--
D. Michael McIntyre

Author of Rosegarden Companion http://rosegarden.sourceforge.net/tutorial/