new kernel, what did I miss?

H.J.Bathoorn triade-lists at zeelandnet.nl
Thu Nov 2 18:24:05 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 18:50:58 +0100
Kaj Haulrich <kaj at haulrich.net> wrote:

> Is this a change just for the merit of change, or is there some kind
> of logic to it ? -  So far it reminds me of that silly Windows c:,
> d: e: etc...  making it hard to find what's where ?

Hallo Kaj,
  We meet again. ;-)
Good to find you still kicking, makes me feel right at home here. :-)

Well on a side note it does make it harder to botch things up. I've had some issues deleting a partition so as to enlarge the one next to it. That would then get the partitions reordered and renamed botching my fstab.

In some unlucky cases I'd only discover that when rebooting, requiring a reboot into a liveCD or comparable to be able to edit lilo/grub and '/etc/fstab'.

Take care that '/boot/grub/menu.lst' i.e. grub in Edgy uses these uuidl's too. They can simply be changed back to /dev/hdaN et all when needed.
I found out the hard way. :-P

--

Good luck,
HarM.