dapper - some questions

Héder Balázs balazs-h at rainstorm.org
Mon May 22 10:02:00 UTC 2006

Hi,

I've just installed Kubuntu Dapper Drake Beta on my machine.
I've got some problems, which I couldn't solve yet. I tried to
find the answers on the web, but unfortunately I didn't find any
usable information.
I would like to ask you for the solutions.

1. There is two soundcard in my PC. Before I installed Kubuntu Dapper I used
Debian Sarge and the two soundcard were set up with alsa. The via686a was
the first card (hw:0,0) and the als4000 was the second (hw:1,0). Now in
Kubuntu they are commuted so als4000 is hw:0,0 and via is hw:1,0.
I insist on the former order, but I'm not able to set it up. I would like to
ask you how can I change the present order?

2. How can I use iso8859-2 font coding instead of UTF-8? I need all of the
accentuated letters on console as well, but I would like to use iso8859-2
coding.

3. How can I turn off the automount system? Is there any possibility to
give permission only to a particular user to mount automatically
only a particular media (e.g CD/DVD) ?

4. I installed k3b from package first. Unfortunately its GUI looks terrible.
Insted of the project buttons at the bottom of the GUI there are only black
rectangles. Therefore I can't see which button should I choose to make for
example a Data DVD. Then I compiled k3b from source, but unfortunately
it didn't solve the problem. The prohect buttons are still black. Has anybody
else experienced this phenomenon?

5. I installed the Opera 9.0beta browser from package. The problem is, that
in the transfers window I can't see the files which are being downloaded.
There are only blank lines in the transfers table. When I move the mouse
above a line, the parameters of the transfer are listed at the bottom of the
window. Is it the problem of the Opera beta version? Should I try
Opera 8.54? But unfortunately I couldn't find Opera 8.54 package :(

6. I don't use kdm for logging in, so the user must start X server from
console. When a user is logged in, and his KDE desktop is running, and an
other user starts X server (startx -- :1), his KDE desktop loads perfectly,
but there aren't any window borders. Everything is good, but on the second
desktop there aren't any window border :(
Is there anybody who knows the solution?

7. I can't install lirc. I tried the built in package (0.7.2pre version), but
when I tried to compile the lirc-modules, the program didn't found
/etc/lirc/lirc-modules-source.conf file. According to the Google this
is a bug in Dapper: the installer doesn't create this file.
Then I thought, that I compile lirc fro source (lirc 0.8.0). This version
was compiled without any problems, but in this case there aren't any
/etc/init.d/lirc script.
With the original script belongs to the Kubuntu's lirc (0.7.2pre), the
compiled lirc 0.8.0 doesn't want to cooperate.
After running "/etc/init.d/lirc start" the appropriate modules isn't loaded
and the appropriate programs (lircd, lircmd) are not running.
Under Debian Sarge the self-compiled lirc 0.8.0 was able to cooperate
with the debian version of lirc's init script. I'd like to ask you for the
solution under Dapper.

So I'm looking for aswers to these questions.
Thank you very much in advance,

Balázs Héder