[Fwd: Re: DVD Playback]

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Sun May 21 23:28:19 UTC 2006

On Sunday 21 May 2006 5:16 pm, Rick Chagouri-Brindle wrote:
> Howard Coles Jr. wrote:

> >> Check:
> >
> > 1.  The DVD Rom drive.  It could be having a problem reading DVDs.
> > 2.  The Cache settings in the player software.  This made a HUGE
> > difference for me.  The problem is that its been working for so long, I
> > can't direct you to how to find it.
> >
> > If you can play the DVDs in another machine, I would be your having some
> > hardware issues.  I use the same version as you and have had no problems
> > playing DVDs.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts, but no joy, I'm afraid.
>
> 1) Reads DVDs perfectly under Kubuntu Breezy and WindowsXP
> 2) I'm not sure how to check this, but I will do some investigating,
> thanks!!!
>
> I can't see how it can be purely hardware issues, because everything
> worked perfectly under Breezy and Windows.
>
> Perhaps it is something in Dapper that doesn't like my brand off DVD
> drives?

It could be.  Check the rights of the device, and mount locations.  Long shot
but hey, you never know.

What app are you using to watch them?  (oh, check hdparm settings to see if
dma is on, should be by default I think, but its worth a shot too.  to do
this enter "hdparm /dev/hdc" without the quotes, if your dvd/cd is the first
device on the second IDE channel).  Along the hdparm thing, I have seen some
IDE drives actually slow down when you turn on 32bit IO support so you might
try turning that off (hdparm -c 0 /dev/hdc)

In Mplayer under preferences check double buffering, etc. in the video
preferences tab.  (you would think this would only affect video output,
but . . )
Also the Cache settings are under the "Misc" tab under preferences. for
Mplayer.

For Xine:  You have to set the configuration experience level to Advanced
under "gui" to see the cache settings (I think) which are on the Media tab,
look for read ahead caching and make sure its enabled.
Hope this helps.

I'm running Dapper, and have watched a couple of DVDs, which means if you hang
in there its possible.  It just might not be right now. :-D

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

http://risenbooks.com Christian bookstore