Is a Unified Qt-based Package manager possible?

void necteno at gmail.com
Tue May 16 19:06:38 UTC 2006

Hello,
I'd like to hear your opinion about the topic described in the
subject. Is there a possibility to create a package manager which
could be used in multiple distributions and behave similarly in each
one, but preserve the package structure of that specific distribution?
Multiple distributions have light-weight graphical package managers
based on Qt/KDE libraries (and one of them sure is Kubuntu). I'm
currently working on one too, although for another distribution. My
point is that it could be more useful when some (desktop-based)
distribution developers worked on a package manager together and
create an application that would be both portable and customized for
one distribution (by choosing one of them  in ./configure time).
What do you think? Would it be possible? Would Kubuntu developers participate?
Best regards,

Martin "mhb" Böhm