new commands for Grub

Mark Warner markwarner1954 at att.net
Tue May 16 16:24:04 UTC 2006

tommac wrote:
> My /boot/grub/menu.lst is as follows
>
> timeout 15
> color cyan/blue  white/blue
> foreground ffffff
> background 0639a1
>
> gfxmenu /boot/grub/message
>
> title MEPIS at hda2, kernel 2.6.15-22-386
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-22-389 root=/dev/hda2 nomce quiet vga=791
>
> title Windows at hda1
> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
> chainloader +1
>
> title MEMTEST
> kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
>
> I have Ubuntu 5.10 loaded on hda3 and I have attempted to enter
> commands  so I can boot Ubuntu. I have tried any and all combinations
> but with no success. Anybody have a suggestion. All help is
> appreciated.. thanks
> tom

It appears to me that the MEPIS install "owns" your GRUB. I will assume
that you pointed GRUB to the root partition of your Ubuntu install
partition when you first installed Ubuntu, rather than the MBR. That
being the case, you need to edit the menu.lst file in your *MEPIS*
install. In *MEPIS*, go to /boot/grub/menu.lst, and add the following
lines:

title Ubuntu at hda3
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
chainloader +1