setting a umask

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Tue May 9 23:36:44 UTC 2006

On Tue, 9 May 2006 12:31 pm, John L Fjellstad wrote:
> "Serg B." <sergicles at gmail.com> writes:
> > Also while on the topic, is there a setting that I need to edit to apply
> > default permissions to files and directories that are being created.
>
> Probably /etc/profile

Actually, it's in /etc/login.defs but read the note in there as thi file is
ONLY read for sessions started with "login" and wont be picked up
xdm/kdm/gdm/ssh etc.  However, ssh/rsh etc will be set via profile or shell
configuration (assuming you set a umask somewhere in there).  If you need
universal UMASK regardless of the login method or shell, have a look at the
"libpam-umask" package.

Cheers,

James
--
grep me no patterns and I'll tell you no lines.