K3b permissions issues.

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sun May 7 17:48:05 UTC 2006

Gabriel Dragffy wrote:

> Problem solved! At least for now anyway. For the benefit of anyone else
> experiencing the same thing or anyone searching the list for answers
> here's what I did (googling didn't help much):
> add "sg" line to /etc/modules  without the "
>
> then add "chgrp cdrom/dev/sg0" to /etc/init.d/bootmich.sh
> before the exit 0 line.

That may work, but the correct place for it is in udev.  In
my /etc/udev/rules.d/15local.rules, I have:

  # SCSI devices
  BUS=="scsi", KERNEL=="sg[0-9]", NAME="%k", GROUP="cdrom"

It's somewhat different in Breezy, but you can put that into any udev rule
file and it will do the job.

fyi, what you're doing is implicitly creating the /dev/sg0 node by loading
the sg module explicitly, then you can modify the group.  If you use this
udev rule, then whenever the sg module is loaded, the node gets created
with the correct permission.
--
derek