Help! I'm an idiot (posted this as "a shout" like an idiot)...

Elswood blaine.elswood at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 16:43:45 UTC 2006

I am completely new to kubuntu; installed the latest breezy badger (to get a
divorce from Windows); and am having the common problem of getting sound from
CD drive (although it plays) and DVD drive. I have searched the forums and
have discovered that I need certain windows codexs to get my sound to work.
Tried to download them (to no avail) and even attempted to download Kubuntu
Automatix from instructions in these forums. (The first sudo worked, but the
first wget just hung!) Could somebody explain to a complete idiot how to get
his sound working? (Pentium 4 Dell Dimension 4300 with 64MB NIVIDA GeForce MX
graphics card with TV-Out) What I read about the Automatix program (it being
so slick and easy and all) is what I need since, in addition to being brand
new to Kubuntu, I am a complete computer idiot! (Be kind, be gentle, walk me
through it like you would a little child, ppleease...)