Flight 5 bugs?

Matthew Kuiken matt.kuiken at verizon.net
Sun Mar 19 06:28:18 UTC 2006

ypapado at panteion.gr wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> 1. xserver-xorg-input-synaptics is already installed and evdev is in some
> directory after a search I did. Is there something else I should try?
> 2. Shortcuts work out once in a while and some times the program proposes
> an alternative ie Shift+insert instead of Ctrl+v for paste. Are you sure
> this isn't a bug?
> Thanks again for the help. It's nice feeling that there is somebody to
> spend some of his time to help you.
> Yannis

Yannis,

I have a Sony VGN-TX650P.  I don't know if yours will act the same or
not, but I had to change my xorg.conf (in /etc/X11) to get my touchpad
working correctly.

I added the following section:

Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier    "Synaptics Touchpad"
     Driver        "synaptics"
     Option "AlwaysCore"
     Option        "SendCoreEvents"    "true"
     Option        "Device"        "/dev/input/event2"
     Option        "Protocol"        "event"
     Option "LeftEdge" "130"
     Option "RightEdge" "840"
     Option "TopEdge" "130"
     Option "BottomEdge" "640"
     Option "FingerLow" "7"
     Option "FingerHigh" "8"
     Option "MaxTapTime" "180"
     Option "MaxTapMove" "110"
     Option "ClickTime" "0"
     Option "EmulateMidButtonTime" "75"
     Option "VertScrollDelta" "10"
     Option "HorizScrollDelta" "10"
     Option "MinSpeed" "0.60"
     Option "MaxSpeed" "1.10"
     Option "AccelFactor" "0.030"
     Option "EdgeMotionMinSpeed" "200"
     Option "EdgeMotionMaxSpeed" "200"
     Option "UpDownScrolling" "1"
     Option "CircularScrolling" "1"
     Option "CircScrollDelta" "0.1"
     Option "CircScrollTrigger" "2"
     Option "SHMConfig" "on"
     Option "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
EndSection

And commented out:

#Section "InputDevice"
#       Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
#       Driver          "synaptics"
#       Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
#       Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
#       Option          "Protocol"              "auto-dev"
#       Option          "HorizScrollDelta"      "0"
#EndSection

I'm not certain what it all means, but the touchpad works much better
now.  I believe that I first found this on the web forums.  From what
I've read, MinSpeed, MaxSpeed, and AccelFactor are the important options
for fixing the speed.  I haven't bothered to try to remove or adjust any
of the options since it works pretty well right now.

HTH,
-Matt Kuiken