Router set up

Thilo Six T.Six at gmx.de
Tue Mar 7 21:55:32 UTC 2006

Luka Renko schrieb am 07.03.2006 21:48:

>     auto dsl-provider
>     iface dsl-provider inet ppp
>     provider dsl-provider

<snip>

>         pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up # line maintained by pppoeconf
>

> I am not sure why this would be required for ethernet connection. I
> would expect that your router is doing PPPoE login, therefore you do not
> need to specify this on your systems (displaimer: I used  PPPoE only
> once ;-))

<snip>

> Regards,
> Luka

I second that. Scott you have configured your computer to do pppoe
(Point-to-Point Protocol Over Ethernet).
This protocol will not work with "normal" Ethernet.

You can see it in your ifconfig:
ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
         inet addr:216.183.152.159  P-t-P:216.183.152.1
Mask:255.255.255.255
         UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1492  Metric:1
         collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
         RX bytes:1035628 (1011.3 KiB)  TX bytes:166640 (162.7 KiB)

I would suggest to make a backup of your /etc/network/interfaces and
then replace it with:
- --------------------------------->
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

# This is a list of hotpluggable network interfaces.
# They will be activated automatically by the hotplug subsystem.
mapping hotplug
       script grep
       map eth0

bye Thilo