Router set up

scott sclewin at bmts.com
Mon Mar 6 19:35:25 UTC 2006

Hi,

   I purchased a DI-524 Wireless Router today and I am having problems
connecting my desktop with Kubuntu 5.10 to the router.  I tried going
through all the router documentation and went to D-Links website and
could not find any help.  I also went to the wiki, and even though there
is a fair amount about wireless connectivity, there is nothing about
simply connecting a computer to the router.

    Everything seems fine until I get to the point where I need to type
the IP of the router in the browser.  The browser keeps on telling me it
can't find the address.

   My desktop is a dual boot Kubutnu/Win XP so I went into the Windows
XP and was able to get the router working; but the CD install did not
work, I had to use the quick guide instructions.  So, I now the unit is
working, but of course I want it to work in Kubuntu which is my main OS.

   I also have a laptop and I purchased a DWL-G630 wireless card to go
with the router.  I was originally able to get a connection with the
router before I set it up, but now I can't seem to.  The laptop is also
running Kubuntu 5.10.  When I go to Network Connection I notice the
wireless card is showed disabled; the same is true with the PC's
ethernet card.  When I go into administrator mode and select enable the
card simply reverts back top enabled; so, I don't know if I need to
enable it some how.

   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Your friend,
Scott

"The most intelligent people in the world know they are not the most intelligent person"