Volune in KDE and other minor issues

Joe Hart j.hart at hccnet.nl
Sun Jun 25 07:53:30 UTC 2006

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 24/06/06, alvonsius albert <alvonsius.albert at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Humm, then you should install "make" packages. You may have some other
>> problems, like "missing autoconf blah blah blah" or something else. Just
>> install the package that the application ask to (yeah I know,
>> sometime it
>> feels like hell searching the package we need) :D
>
> I didn't know that make had to be installed. Just installed it via
> apt-get.
>
>> Uh by the way ... isn't blended is already on Ubuntu repository
>> (kwin-style-blended) ... in case the compilation keep failed :D
>
> It is. I didn't even think to look there... installing from apt-get
> now. Thanks.

Dotan,

1) The link for fixing konqueror:  http://www.kubuntu.org/faq.php

2) You can't make anything with the standard kubuntu, even if you
apt-get install make, you're still out cold.  Do this instead:  sudo
apt-get install build-essential

That will install make and several other packages you need to compile
things.  I really think the compilers should be on the main CD.  I can
understand space requirements, but I'd rather have the ability to
compile from source than to have 3 different web browsers, etc.

No matter how much I complain about K/Ubuntu I find myself coming back
to it.  I have one of the AMD64 chips that is defective (apparently) so
all the 32 bit Linux distros run too fast.  I gave up trying to fix it
since it's a 64 bit computer, I shouldn't need to hack to get a 32 bit
system to work on it.  Out of all the distros that work with true 64
bit, K/Ubuntu leads the way.